A few months back I decided it was time to make pizza with something other than pork. Of course, everyone loves pepperoni and bacon, ham & pineapple, etc, but I don’t think it’s healthy and I figured I could find something that was still delicious, but a bit healthier. This is one of our favorites!
BBQ Chicken & Pineapple Pizza
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups flour (I did half all-purpose and half freshly ground whole wheat.)
- 2 tsp yeast
- 3 diced chicken breasts, browned
- 1/3 cup BBQ sauce (More or less to taste. Just make sure the chicken is well coated and won’t dry out. We like a spicier BBQ sauce.)
- 1 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 2-3 cups grated cheese (I did half mozzarella and half sharp cheddar.)
Start by making the dough for the crust. Add the water, salt, oil, flour, and yeast to a mixing bowl. I use my Kitchen Aid to make things easier. Mix really well, and add flour if it’s too sticky or runny. Knead for 7 or 8 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place the dough in an oiled bowl and let it rest until you are finished chopping/cooking toppings. At this point you can preheat the oven to 425.
Dice the chicken and saute it in olive oil until just cooked through. Turn off heat and stir in BBQ sauce. Dice the pineapple, onions, and peppers, and shred the cheese.
Roll out the dough onto a greased pizza pan. I use a large Pampered Chef pizza stone. Spread pizza sauce over the pizza. Sprinkle just a handful of cheese over the sauce. Sprinkle onions, peppers, and chicken over the dough. Top with cheese, and then the pineapple on top of the cheese.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on how your oven bakes. Just take it out when the cheese is bubbling and the bottom of the crust looks done.