I’m sure you have heard of these little seeds. I have heard of them but it was from YEARS ago and that jingle comes to mind every time. Chia pets!
I did not realize you could eat them and how healthy they are for you!
These tiny little seeds are packed with fiber, which means it keeps them fuller longer and provides more energy. Chia seeds also have a small percentage of protein, many essential vitamins and minerals, like potassium and calcium, and a very high amount of omega-3. The seeds actually do contain extractable oil, a reason why the Aztecs called the seeds chian or oily.
Some additional benefits of eating chia seeds include:
- Feeling full and losing weight without starving
- Balancing blood sugar levels
- Help prevent diverticulosis and diverticulitis
- Add healthy omega-3 oil to your diet
- Feel more energized all day long
- Bake with less fat
- Age defying antioxidants
- Reduces cravings for particular unhealthy foods
- Adds a flavorful punch
- Saves you money
Are you ready to try them?
- 1 cup fruit
- 3-4 tablespoons agave
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1. Put 1 cup of fruit of your choice (you can use fresh or frozen) into pot on stove and heat on medium to low for about 5 minutes. Then mash fruit with potato masher.
- 2. Stir in 4 tablespoons of agave (You could certainly use less or more depending on sweetness you desire) along with 3 tablespoons of chia seeds. Cook on low temp until it thickens, usually in about 5 minutes. Continue to stir so the jam doesn't stick to pot.
- 3. Remove from pot and pour into jar and let it cool. It's ready to eat!
Try it just as it is or on some homemade bread or mix it in some plain greek yogurt. It is delish any way you eat it! Enjoy!