I had been scouring the internet and pinterest for just the right recipe to make these. I had Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Buttercream Icing at Church. They were delicious but I never could get the recipe. I must also point out that I had NEVER made homemade cake or icing, I always used the box and the can of icing.
I do have to say for my first time, the cupcakes and icing turned out delicious! Everyone that has tried them agree, so if I can make this so can you. I do want to add a mini reese cup in the middle of the cupcake next time, that would be so yummy!
Chocolate Cupcake Ingredients
(makes 24-27 standard sized cupcakes)
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
- Line muffin pan with liners or grease the muffin pan. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for one minute.
- Stir in boiling water (the batter will be very thin, but that is right).
- Fill liners 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake cupcakes for approximately 22-24 minutes.
- Cool completely on wire rack before frosting.
Peanut Butter Buttercream Icing Ingredients
1/3 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 cups (approx. 1 lb.) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
4-6 tablespoons milk
- Cream shortening and butter with electric mixer.
- Add peanut butter and vanilla.
- Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry.
- Add milk, one tablespoon at a time, and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Re-whip before using.